Tuesday, July 17, 2012

If you don't believe in God, you may be underestimating yourself


Writing requires a certain amount of self discipline. I keep getting sidetracked. Whether it's talking all day with a courteous Indian tech to figure out why a Parallels virtual machine running Windows on a MAC isn't working (should I be ashamed? I'm not a Steve Jobs disciple!) or moving things all over the house to get just the right look, there's always something to do to put off the blogging abstract. It takes time to take all the seeds out of a soursop to make a smoothie... and the procrastination could be much worse; I stopped smoking weed when I od'd on life nearly 20 years ago.



The last blog post came not a minute too soon! The day before I wrote Fast & Furious FX, the hill in front of my house went up in blazes. I knew it was time to hurry up when I saw the flames spreading. Here's what was left:



I wrote all day on July 4th. By late afternoon around 5:30, a rather large earthquake hit the island. No damage done, but everyone ran outside a little freaked out. When I came back in, the song playing on Sirius radio was Sean Paul's 'Get Busy'. I was too shaken to even take a picture of the screen, by then nothing could sidetrack me. Later on I did find the record of it online:


47 Usher/Rick Ross Lemme See 7/4/2012 5:40:23 PM 
47 Fat Joe/Chris Brown Another Round 7/4/2012 5:36:04 PM 
47 Sean Paul Get Busy (03) 7/4/2012 5:32:22 PM 
47 Rihanna You Da One 7/4/2012 5:29:53 PM 
47 Young Jeezy Leave You Alone 7/4/2012 5:29:22 PM


No sweat... I met the creative deadline, the post came out that day. The next day I noticed hurricane Daniel. I thought that was cool as Fast & Furious opened with a reference to Obama Don Dada, making it easy to interpret 'Dan est elle' as a nice compliment. When major Hurricane Emilia followed 3 days later right behind Daniel, that was thrilling. The cherry on top was the next storm that followed suit, Fabio, the name of my very good friend, an Italian Buddhist and antique watch dealer I mentioned in a recent post (fun with Fab and Cri).
I was named Emily after my grandmother. Here's Emilie and Albert Bismuth in Milan. They came from Carthage and Paris.




All this puts today's storm into context: tropical storm Khanun is headed for North Korea, and I'm totally on time! I should have this up at 1600 hours... today's topic is God. Traditionally, science doesn't believe in the soul. It adheres to the idea that humans are simply an 'amalgamation of atoms'. They don't have no soul! Gawd! To recoup from such a sad concept, take this gif, it goes with just about any music.



It was a relief to watch 'Through the Wormhole' with Morgan Freeman. Scientific people like Dr. Stuart Hameroff and Sir Roger Penrose are advancing a quantum theory whereby consciousness is an integral part of the universe. They are in the process of proving that 'information in the brain's micro tubules can become entangled with the information outside the brain.' Oh... we're all one! Eastern philosophy has been advancing this idea all along. All beings have divine potential, to develop in this life. It's too bad most religions have this notion well obscured in Goo. Luckily, when you got soul, you can feel it.